We began this negotiation season hoping to have a new contract wrapped up by the beginning of Summer Break. We found common ground on several issues, but a few VERY IMPORTANT topics remain unresolved. Impasse was declared May 27, 2014.
These issues have not been resolved:
1. RIF (Reduction in Force) Language
2. Student Discipline
3. Teacher Salaries and Compensation
Each of these is a complex subject, involving many points, but here is the gist:
· RIF language is now predicated on Teacher Evaluation (thanks to SB191). At issue is how your last evaluation rating and/or score will be used to determine which teachers’ contracts would be cancelled in the event a Reduction in Force is implemented.
· Student Discipline and the consistent application of District Discipline Policies & Procedures is an issue across the district. Student discipline directly effects student achievement.
· With state funding on the increase and the district receiving more than $5 million dollars in new funding from the state, and teachers having shared the sacrifice for several years when funding was tight, Steps & Lanes are not enough.
We feel so strongly about these topics on behalf of our teachers that we will be continuing to pursue resolution of the issues through Mediation and Fact Finding with outside assistance.
More information will follow.
Please contact your building AR to make sure she has your contact info for the summer: address, phone and home email address, so we can keep you informed.
Believe in Yourselves – Believe in Each Other